Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Colors of the Wind...

So if you have a facebook, you've seen the large amounts of colorful photos that flood the site about every 6 months.  What you are looking at is in fact the Festival of Colors.  Yes, some of you may say that it is a pointless celebration but in all honesty, name one other time in your life where you're going to be able to throw "color" on each other.  Never!  So every young adult should attend this spectacular display of colors.  This year a few friends and me attended.  It was so much fun!  We'd buy large packets of color and divide them amongst us.  I always chose orange and green, not because those are my favorite colors (although I do like green) but because I could throw those colors and the other members of our entourage.  Being fair haired I was terrified of attending church the next day with green hair...  ya not a pleasant look, I'll avoid that thank you very much.  I always made sure my friends got the pink or purple (they are a more acceptable color in your hair).  Once we purchased our bags and made our way to the large mass of people.  There was a band playing and a huge fire pit (I'm pretty sure it wasn't just wood that they were burning...  hence the reason why everyone was dancing around with frivolity).  Then they all count down from 10 and throw their colors into the wind!  It was so magical!  Oh wait...  the winds blowing that orange together with that green and, oh no...  it's coming back down!  The beautiful colors that went up came down in a huge cloud of brown that settled around us.  You can hear everyone coughing and gagging to get the murk our of their lungs.  But don't worry.  Our group was smart and brought bandannas to tie around our necks to block the dust.  Ya we felt pretty awesome at that point.  Everyone is just covered in head to toe with dust.  Ya it made for an interesting ride home in lightly colored car.  I made sure everyone used towels to not get my car all colorful...  funny thing is is that I wiped everything down in my car so that I wouldn't get any color on my dad's clothes the next Sunday (because I ride with momma (yes to the singles ward but that's a story for another time about how my parents got called to MY SINGLES ward...))  So papa showed up in his early morning meetings and made quite the scene.  Oh yes, I had forgotten to clean off my seat belt, sucka!  He had a perfect line of pink and purple across his suit. All in all it was a pretty fun and eventful day. 

So this is a video from a previous year of one of the throwings to give you an idea of the proceedings there.



Then these are me and my friend Dan, Loran Me, and Gemily!  It was so much fun!  Totally worth not being able to wash the color out of my hair for weeks! 

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! That is still on my list of things to do around here. Maybe you can talk your brother into taking me next year. I love the last picture of you laughing it totally captures the fun of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so crazy. I have never seen a video of what the color festival is like. I am not sure that I would like breathing all that stuff it looks like you had a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete